Tuesday, June 4, 2013

4 Months Later...

Wow! I can't believe its been four months since I've written!

These last 4 months have been absolutely crazy, and I've had little time to write. On the bright side, I've been able to do alot of the things on my bucketlist, which I'll talk about later. For now, a brief overview of what my life has been like here in Hong Kong!

First, I can say that it has been a difficult adjustment from Spain. The culture and life here is much different, its more fast paced and intense than in Spain. And there's nothing wrong with that but coming from a "Don't worry, Life goes slow" attitude to one of the busiest cities in the world was like jumping into a freezing lake for the first time. The social climate here is also very dicey for a woman like me, people are very focused on the materialistic and superficial aspects of someone. If you're not wearing the right clothes or have the right skin color(yes you read that right), its a difficult place to really enjoy. At a later date, I'll cover that(its in my drafts).


My job has been rocky, it was rough at first, getting used to my new boss and how things worked. Some days, I love my job, in fact most days I do, but there are a few days where I want to give someone a piece of my mind, or quit. The good thing for me is that both my bosses, have been very understanding and I know they are trying. My company is still in the start-up stages, which I didn't realize when I arrived, so it took me a while to understand that things are still up in the air. My co-workers are also pretty cool, I see them around town on occasion and text them regularly. We're a pretty small company, only 5 teachers, one of which is my boss.

There have been three things that have really been keeping me going. First was the constant support and contact with my family and friends. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have the support of my aunts, uncles, cousins, mom, dad, brother, and friends. :) They've always been supportive and kept me from just jumping on a plane and running. I recently helped my mom get Whatsapp, which has been fun to be able to text her whenever. Especially with my life, you never know what you'll see!





The second thing that's been keeping me going has been rugby. Obviously. I was out training the week I got here, and I haven't stopped. I've been able to attend a lot of events and meet so many great people. I'm excited for the new season, and I'll keep everyone updated on where I end up. Right now, its just alot of gym and training to get ready for the upcoming season. I go to the gym 4-6 days a week, depending on how my week goes.

The final thing was that I've started taking voice lessons again! I decided I wanted to expand my vocal abilities, and so I found a lovely teacher who specializes in more modern music( as opposed to someone who's been dead for 50 or so years). She is a sassy black woman from the US, and its been great to have a teacher who understands how difficult it is to be a minority in this city!





Well, that's all for now. Next week: The Cheung Chau Bun Festival!

No comments:

Post a Comment