Thursday, March 7, 2013

Welcome to Hong Kong...It's Nothing Like Barcelona!

Well I've been in Hong Kong for almost two weeks and haven't taken ANY pictures, been sightseeing, or updated this blog! I'm terrible. But seriously, I think the last two weeks have been almost like getting pushed into the deep end of a pool and not knowing how to swim.

Before my departure was my birthday and my final rugby match, in really quick succession. Both were enjoyable, and it was good to say goodbye to everyone. At my game, the girls brought me 2 cheesecakes with the candles saying "23" for my 23rd birthday the day before. It was very sweet and I know I will miss playing for them. Even though there were many struggles, I know I am a better player and person.

Saying Goodbye to CEU-L'Hospitalet Rugby Femini

I got to Hong Kong on a Wednesday afternoon, feeling really ill and wanting to just sleep for a week. My boss and his wife met me at the airport and we took a bus from the airport to the apartment(I am currently staying with them and another family member). I spent the entire time with my mouth opening and closing because of how different it was visually from Barcelona and trying not to throw up. I felt better immediately after we got off the bus and I really like the apartment and my new, even smaller room. I met another teacher that night and went out to a local place for dinner.

Here, when I refer to "local" I mean it is someplace that serves Chinese food and often will ONLY be in Chinese. It also refers to the people who are from Hong Kong.

The next couple days were spent trying to get acquainted with the city, which is hard when its so huge. There are two different bus systems and the MTR, which is like a metro system. I have the MTR system down but the bus is so unreliable it usually just causes me to want to tear my hair out.

Basic First Impression: Everything here is bigger and entirely different than Barcelona. Add Chinese and I felt pretty screwed.





No comments:

Post a Comment